This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

installed, uninstalled, reinstalled, run repair

Jul 26, 2010 at 1:06 PM
Edited Jul 26, 2010 at 1:14 PM


I tried switching the sdk\tools directory from the one under the program directory to directory in \temp\android\android-sdk-windows. then, then when I restarted, I kept getting the error that Droid Explorer couldn't find SDK\tools. Okay, fair enough. I uninstall the application, and reinstall from scratch. Even went so far as to completely delete the directory from C:\Program Files. Yet, now matter what I do, every time, even from a fresh reinstall, Droid Explorer crashes.


Comes up with the same issue as before that it can't find SDK\tools and crashes.


Is there something in the Windows registry that also needs to be deleted? Is something remembering the new directory I set in the options and not overwriting it even if I uninstall and reinstall?





There's a bug in the installation routine that if you change the SDK path within the application, it doesn't erase the registry setting in Windows. This means even if you uninstall/reinstall/repair, whatever path you have set in the windows registry from a bad option setting (set manually of course), it doesn't get erased or overwritten on subsequent installations.


This shouldn't be the case. The registry entries should be deleted/wiped out, whatever the correct protocol is on an uninstall of a program.


I was able to correct my above issue by going to the following Windows registry key:


Droid Explorer > Install Path > SdkPath and resetting that path to the following directory UNDER Droid Explorer:


C:\Program Files\Droid Explorer\SDK


This shouldn't have been the case. It was persisting even between repairs and reinstalls that no matter how many times I did either, this path was NOT reset.

Jul 27, 2010 at 12:51 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Jul 27, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Yes, I sort of knew this was going to be an issue. the "use of existing SDK" is very early in its development. This is actually the first release that supports it. The problem is  that when you change it in DE, it saves it to "Current User", but during install, it sets the data in "Local Machine", even if it is removed from the Local Machine, DE looks in Current User first. I will probably have to create some type of "clean up" for Current User, or something.