Using Unpack for encrypted adb backup

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:46 PM
Edited Apr 27, 2014 at 10:59 PM
How does one use the unpack option for an adb encrypted backup such as backup.ab from an Asus Google Nexus 7 2nd gen. 2013 running Android 4.4.2?

I run Ubuntu and I did not want to deal with changing from the default java so I setup VirtualBox with a fully updated & activated Windows 7 install.

USB connects to my Nexus 7 because my user in Ubuntu is in vboxusers group.
  • Installed the latest Cygwin
  • Installed Java jdk-8u5-windows-x64
    (Tried the android backup extractor & failed)
  • Installed adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140321 to c:\
  • Installed Droid Explorer
  • Pointed Droid Explorer to the sdk
  • Configured USB connection on Nexus 7 at settings/storage then top right 3 dots then enabled MTP (unlocked and accepted connection on Nexus 7)
  • Can connect my Nexus 7 though no folders can view only "/", so, installed BusyBox on device from google play store. Now I see folders.
  • backed up my existing Nexus 7 install running on MultiROM, had to unlock my device and enter my backup password(no problems noted)
  • checked file size of Droid Explorer backup 3.68GB
Moved the original adb encrypted backup into the c:\users\myusername\Android backups\devicenumber\
  • Right clicked on backup.ab and chose "unpack" from the context menu then entered my original backup password into the popup AND I get nothing from there.
  • connected my Nexus 7 2013 with USB MTP enabled and opened Droid Explorer then choose "Google Applications Backup" then "Backup from existing zip" changed to "all files" & selected my backup.ab file And it crashes Droid Explorer ( noticed it did not prompt for password.) then I read it is only for "barebones backup" DOH!
Now I'm stumped as to how to use Droid Explorer to unpack my ADB encrypted backup file?
Apr 27, 2014 at 10:01 PM
I have noticed two things along the way that I may need to fix;
1) C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Temp\hsperfdata_ Keeps reverting to "read only" and Droid Backup files are empty unless I change it again & again.
2) Asus Google Nexus 2013 2nd Gen keeps mounting in Linux Ubuntu 14.04 and I I unmount it even though I still get the popup dialog in windows 7 with it mounted in Ubuntu.
Apr 27, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Also after restating my browse I am informed with an alert box that I likely need to install both jdk's for 64 bit x64 & 32 bit x86. I will do that now.
May 18, 2014 at 8:00 PM
I have the same exact problem - when I click Unpack, type the password, and click OK, nothing happens! I really need access to my backup too. Any update on getting this feature working?
May 30, 2014 at 3:20 PM
Sorry, I got nowhere with the issue myself. As much as I would like to get it working I have to archive the files and move on. Personally, I think ADB would be the way to research to get the data back.