Root problems?

Dec 27, 2009 at 7:05 AM

I'm trying to use Droid Explorer on my HTC Hero, but I'm having some problems I hope someone can help me with.

1. Shell is not working (Tools, Plugin, Console). I assume this is to open a shell on the phone? All I get is a black window with a blinking green cursor. But no prompt and it does not accept any input.

2. Not viewing files as root: Droid Explorer seems only to be able to show files avaible to all users. For instance it cannot access the /data/ folder. If I open adb shell I too cannot access this folder (permission denied) until I run su first. Is my phone not "suficciently rooted" for Droid Explorer or is this normal behaviour for DE?

Thanks

Coordinator
Dec 28, 2009 at 12:04 PM

I am not sure about issue #1. It may be related to #2.

As for #2, this is a known bug with some devices, I am working on a fix and think I may have it working. If it does work, this will be resolved in the next release, which should be this week sometime.

Dec 28, 2009 at 12:09 PM
Edited Dec 28, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Yesterday I upgraded my Hero with Teknologist custom kernel for Hero (http://android.teknologism.org/). This update includes busybox so I removed my previously manually installed version first. After the upgrade Droid Explorer works just fine (both shell and showing all files). This was a kernel upgrade only and required that the phone was pre-rooted already. So perhaps the problem had something to do with the busybox version or installation?