Phanton android device

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:22 PM
I am running windows 7 64 bit, connected my HTC dream, everything was fine. I connected my buddy's HTC phone, and now even when it is not connected it shows in "my computer as "other" Has anyone else had this issue? I uninstalled droid explorer, it is still there, but no icon, I reinstalled, and it is still there WITH the icon.
Coordinator
Jun 13, 2010 at 12:17 AM

is the "other" device your friends device or is it an extra for yours? Try rebooting the PC and see if it is still there. If it is, I will find you exact steps to manually remove it.

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:32 AM

It is my friends, and I have rebooted a LOT of times already

Coordinator
Jun 13, 2010 at 6:08 PM

In RegEdit, you are going to have to search HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID for the Device ID in values. This is the name under the icon. It will be the value of the SerialNumber String Value. The parent Key will be a GUID like {4aadfc55-0657-4b44-9f58-a0fca98fcb31}, for example. This is the key you need to delete. It will have other keys below it, like shell, defaultIcon, ShellEx and shellfolder. The main thing to look for is the SerialNumber value set to the device ID. Once you delete that key, you may need to reboot for the change to take affect.

The reason it doesn't automatically remove it any more is because it doesn't know about the device. It somehow lost track of the device before it was unplugged. If you can plug your friends device, wait like 20 seconds or so, then unplug it, it may also remove it from explorer.

Hope this helps you.

Jun 13, 2010 at 6:21 PM

now I have a blank icon

Coordinator
Jun 14, 2010 at 4:32 PM

did you delete the GUID key? You will also want to delete the same GUID key from "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\".

I forgot about this path until you told me you have a blank icon there now.

Jun 14, 2010 at 4:42 PM
PERFECT!!! That did it, Thank you!!
Coordinator
Jun 14, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Glad it worked, I know that would drive me crazy too. can you tell me any info about when you connected the "phantom" device? did you disconnect it right away? was it connected when your device was connected? anything? I just want to see if there is anything I can look for so this doesn't happen again.