Cannot access /data from droid explorer

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:45 AM

hi

can anyone please help me? i have a rooted htc desire (rooted via unrevoked3) and when i try accessing /data from droid explorer, the debug console is telling me these:

[CommandRunner] adb.exe -s HT085PL01088 shell busybox ls -lF --color=never "/data/"[CommandRunner] ls: can't open '/data/': Permission denied
[CommandRunner] adb.exe -s HT085PL01088 shell busybox ls -lF --color=never "/data/"[CommandRunner] ls: can't open '/data/': Permission denied

Coordinator
Oct 11, 2010 at 12:00 PM
Edited Oct 11, 2010 at 12:01 PM

on non-developer devices, the you do not have read access on /data. you can chmod the directory in the console, then you can browse it. i think i set mine to chmod 0777.

Oct 12, 2010 at 3:26 PM
Edited Oct 12, 2010 at 3:32 PM

thanks camalot!

though i have another question...

after i chmod 0777 data... if want to access /data/app... i have to chmod 0777 /data/app again... is there an easy way to access these directories without repeatedly issuing chmod?

thanks again in advance.

in addition to this, my goal is to uninstall the bloatwares that came with my HTC desire.. however, after i have opened the /data/app directory, i could not find any of the installed bloatware apks there.. i'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this question.. but i hope that you can also help me out here..

many thanks, camalot.

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2010 at 12:56 PM

you will have to chmod /data/app too. I am not sure about the other directories in data.

As for the bloatware, those are stored in /system/app.

for that, you have to do the following...

# busybox mount -o rw,remount /system
# rm TheBloatware.*

this makes /system read/write, then you remove the APK + the ODEX (if there is one)
after you do that, you will want to go in to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications, and select the package names that you removed. they are usually easy to spot, they are the applications in the list that all have the same "generic" icon and the name of the app is the package name. Click them and uninstall. this removes an crap from the /data/data directory, and any cache they created, etc.

Unfortunately removing these apps directly from within DE is not that easy. you could just do the mount part in the shell, then try uninstalling from DE, but I can not say with certainty that it will work. This is on my list of things to implement.

Oct 14, 2010 at 2:00 AM
Edited Oct 14, 2010 at 2:21 AM

thank you so much, camalot!!

another question though... when i go to settings->applicatoins->manage applications, the button for Uninstall is greyed out.. how can i proceed with this?

oh, and does my desire has to be in recovery mode before i do these:

# rm TheBloatware.*

i'm rooted though.. i have that ninja superuser icon in my applications drawer...

thanks again in advance.

Coordinator
Oct 14, 2010 at 1:11 PM

make sure you remove them from the shell like i stated first, no you dont have to be in recovery mode to do it.

you can do it from the terminal emulator app on the device or you can use ADB and do it from your PC.

From PC:

> adb shell
$ su
# rm TheBloatware.*

From the terminal editor (if you don't have the Android SDK setup, this will probably be easier)

$ su
# rm TheBloatware.*

Obviously, replace "TheBloatware.*" with the name of the file you want to remove.

Oct 15, 2010 at 2:11 AM
Edited Oct 15, 2010 at 10:10 AM

thanks camalot!

however, even if after i  rm <bloatware>, the uninstall option from "Manage applications" is still greyed out..and it is still in my application drawer.. and i can still open it...

by the way... i am getting "Directory not empty" after i do the rm...

when i reboot my phone, the apks that i deleted magically appears again in /system/app...

thanks again in advance camalot.

Oct 24, 2010 at 5:27 PM

i can't see anything in data folder.. why? i rooted via one click lag fix, i installed busybox, but droidExplore does not show me data folder content. wht i have to do?

what do you mean with "you can chmod the directory in the console"?

Galaxy s, JM1

thanks

Oct 24, 2010 at 5:51 PM

i installed busybox via market..

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2010 at 12:46 PM

@andreagosto

from the "console" window that you can open from droid explorer.

you would type

$ su
# chmod 0777 /data
# chmod 0777 /data/app

That will change the R/W/E of those directories to RWE for everyone

@alvindemets

if you want to delete a directory, you need to use the -r switch with rm

Oct 27, 2010 at 1:36 PM

@camalot thank you a lot!

Oct 30, 2010 at 8:23 PM
Edited Oct 30, 2010 at 8:25 PM

I loaded DE and the computer screen does not show any recoginition of the Droid2...no files, nothing.   Now what?  The devisce connection keeps dropping off.   Also, my storage chip is installed but the program says it is not there.    This is pretty frustrating.